Tuesday 15 January 2013

The demise of HMV and #22 on my list

Okay, the big topic of the day is the untimely demise of HMV.

What HMV stands for I never remember - it's one of those pub quiz questions where everyone in your team rests their head on their fist, close their eyes tightly and say those immortal words 'oooh, I know this one'. Invariably you scribble down 'HMV' on the answer sheet as a fruitless reminder in the hope that by the end of the picture round the answer will come to you...it never does. And as for the name of the dog - no-one at the quiz ever knows that either...except for the fifty-somethings sat smugly in the corner with their real ale and scratchings. They're the professional pub quizzers who everyone else hates. Just once I'd love a quiz dedicated solely to the 1994 World Cup...the three beer vouchers as victory would all be mine.

Anyhow - HMV - a sad story - particularly for those who are set to lose their jobs. But I'm quite surprised they lasted this long. Always over-priced and clearly failed to adapt to changing consumer tastes and habits. Failure to move to a competitive online market means the record store in the city centre is likely to be no more (and I fear the likes of WH Smith and Blockbuster videos will follow suit).

But today's news about HMV has got me thinking. Music -  I love music.

Now - I can neither play nor sing a single note. Friends who have heard me on SingStar can attest to this. And I toyed with the idea of putting 'learning a musical instrument' on my list. However, having been discouraged at infant school from continuing to play the recorder because I was clearly so bad at it, this is one challenge which I've chosen to omit.  I think there are just times in life where you should simply except you're c**p and move on.

Music has played an important part in my life though - and my dad has an awful lot to answer for - but that's for a later blog.

So, with the demise of HMV, today I've found myself reminiscing about Saturday afternoons 'up town', flicking through the CD stands at HMV (and for those who know the Mander Centre in Wolverhampton, Our Price).

'Blue is The Colour' by the Beautiful South was the first album I ever bought (the one with the swear words in 'Don't Marry Her' too).

Since then I've seen quite a few bands live - but, not nearly enough. Chuck Berry was my first (see what I mean about my Dad) - but Louise (now Redknapp), supported by Cleopatra ('comin atcha!') and little known boyband Ultra, was the first with my mates. My musical pallet has developed since...sort of.

So - #22 on my list of 30 things to do before I'm 30: see at least 10 music/comedy gigs.

To put that number into context - last year I think I saw one; Noel Gallagher (sorry Dad, I refuse to count Showaddywaddy at Wolverhampton's Wulfrun Hall).

So - any suggestions? Anyone know if Akon is touring?

I'll leave you with this question - what was the first (delete appropriately depending on age) single/record/LP/'45/cassette you bought?

This was mine...and I think you'll agree, it's stood the test of time well...




No comments:

Post a Comment