Saturday 12 January 2013

Making a Splash!


Ok - so one of the things to do on my list is to write a blog...job done.

Another one - learn to swim.

Yes, that's right - I'm a 28 year old man - who can't swim. I say can't swim - I can, sort of. My head does not go in the water, my eyes are closed tightly - and I generally hate every single second.

I had swimming lessons as a kid - I just always hated it. The chlorine, the smell, the changing rooms at Heath Town baths in Wolverhampton (the comedian who'd always reach under the cubicle door and try and nick your bag whilst you're getting changed) - and the one I really hated - afterwards, you can't get changed without getting a wet foot. Doesn't matter what you do, you'll always drop your sock or put one foot down unintentionally and that's it for the coach ride back to school - damp feet. Grrrrr!

Truth is I just wasn't any good at it - and I never enjoyed it. They gave me my 'red stripe' because I almost made a width and 'tried really hard'. I never had the chance to wear my pyjamas and pick up a brick. Oh no, I was in the shallow end with the other kids who couldn't hack it - you know the ones, snot hanging out their noses and always picked last for everything. It was great company to be in - and it was enough to put me off for life...until now.

There is one other reason I hate swimming - it was at a friend's swimming birthday party (why he didn't have a football party I don't know, but hey ho). It was at Ounsdale School (I was told in no uncertain terms later on in life that it's Wombourne Leisure Centre not Ounsdale School!). In any case, whilst everyone was splashing and larking around I was stood in the shallow end generally miserable and wondering what time the party food was being served up. One helpful parent then suggested I get involved and swim a bit. 

Begrudgingly I did - only to have my head shoved under water by some scutty little kid who to this day I'm not even sure was part of our party. In any case, I inhaled most of Wombourne's pool and that was it - I never wanted to be in the water again.

I dip in the pool when I'm on holiday, don't get me wrong - but that's more out of necessity than enjoyment. 

But it does look fun and is a great way to keep fit - and I'm sick of being the one who has to stand in the shallow end with the 3 years olds whilst my mates lark around in the deep end with the grown ups.

So - I'm going to return to Wombourne - the scene of my swimming fear - to finally overcome the fear and learn to swim.

My first lesson is at 8.30am tomorrow morning - and I'll be keeping the blog up-to-date and letting you know how I progress.

To sign off this post I thought I'd stick with the swimming theme - take it away Mr Gray...


No comments:

Post a Comment