Sunday 27 January 2013

Buoyancy Belts, Cadbury's Chocolate and a special Thank You Very Much (thank you very, very much)

Clive's buoyancy belt - simple, effective, dashing.

Clive's Buoyancy Belt

In my last swimming-related blog I referenced dignity: specifically the lack of it.

As a twenty-something trying to conquer my fears of the water, I decided that this was not to be a dignified experience; but one that I would embrace nonetheless. Well, that was my mindset until I walked onto the poolside at Wombourne Leisure Centre this morning, only to then see a colleague from work having an early morning dip in the pool.

So - he's gliding through the water, looking at ease in the lanes which are specifically cordened off for good swimmers, whilst I look on, sheepish and shivering in the shallow end, attaching to my body, Clive's homemade buoyancy belt.

I'm all of a sudden very conscious of the fact that I look ridiculous. All in all - not the best of starts.

But actually, once I was in the water, it wasn't too bad. The belt is simple and really effective. Bits of cut up foam, threaded onto a belt strap and attached around your back. The outcome...you don't sink. The others learning to swim (Chris,  Sat and I) have concluded that we needn't finish the rest of the course...just wear these belts all the time and if we end up in water at any stage we'll be fine! Perhaps not...

Clive is exceptionally enthusiastic and supportive, even at 8.30am on a Sunday morning. Interestingly, I'm not even sure that he's teaching me yet - it's all about confidence, something which Clive exudes - the sign of someone who knows what he's doing.
 
Well, lesson number two went pretty well I think. I managed to move my arms and legs at the same time, as well as gasping for air on the odd occassion too. I even swam one width without Clive holding me up. This is progress in my eyes, in spite of swallowing half the pool at one point. Interestingly, the taste is the same as it was when I consumed half of Wombourne's pool at that kids' birthday party all those years ago...happy memories.

Next week - goggle time!

Cadbury's Chocolate

As my last blog entry focussed on football - I'm aware I perhaps lost some of my audience. Well - I'm hoping this will win some of them back. Chocolate.
 
I have somewhat of a sweet tooth - something my childhood dental records would prove.
 
Chocolate is the food of the devil - sickly sweet, delicious, calorie-ridden...and moorish. And, as I have found this morning, too much of it will give you a chocolate hangover which can be on a par with the effects of five pints of lager.
 
As a nation we love it - in particular we love the taste of Cadbury's. It's a staple discussion point amongst friends: what's your favourite chocolate. Invariably, it's more often than not a Cadbury's concoction.
 
Yesterday I made the short trip from Dudley to Cadbury's World in Bourneville. An old friend from university days came up from London to see me and our friend Ste - so we thought we'd take her to see the most famous confectionary name the West Midlands has to offer. By the way - great day out - would throughly recommend it.
 
As part of the tour we got to see some of the old adverts Cadbury's have run throughout the years.

.Crunchie's 'Friday Feeling, I'm So Excited' was a personal highlight - but the 'Everyone's a Fruit 'n' Nut' case' advert also stands out as a classic.
And in more recent times - Phil Collins, for once doing something for the national good - albeit as a drumming chimp.

But I learnt something yesterday. It doesn't matter where you are - it's all about the people you're with. I'd been to Cadbury's World before; not too long ago; had a great time. But now I was returning in different company. I was a little anxious to be totally frank.
 
But it turns out I was fine - and I've started a new set of memories now. I had a great day with two great mates (and I missed what seems to have been another abysmal Wolves display to-boot).
 
So - what have I learnt?
  1. Clive's getting me to (dare I say this too soon) not dread being in water.
  2. Phil Collins as a drumming chimp turns out to be a piece of marketing genius; and
  3. being in company of good people makes me happy.
 
 
 
Finally - as a tribute to Cadbury's - one of this country's finest brands and a shout out to Stevo and Laura - thank you very much...





















No comments:

Post a Comment